Teaching Evolution

A blog devoted to teaching evolution, both in our schools and in our communities.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

At Least He Didn't Smoke Pot

You no doubt know about Congressman Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-California), who was just sentenced to more than eight years in prison for taking bribes. I'm not going to rehash the whole story here, but I do want to point out the great piece of reporting that broke the whole thing wide open. When first confronted with the odd fact that a defense contractor had bought Cunningham's house for $700,000 more than it was worth, Cunningham said,

"My whole life I've lived aboveboard," Cunningham said. "I've never even smoked a marijuana cigarette. I don't cheat. If a contractor buys me lunch and we meet a second time, I buy the lunch. My whole life has been aboveboard and so this doesn't worry me."


I think it's extraordinary that we live in a country where some people think smoking marijuana is a greater offense than accepting bribes. But we do.

2 Comments:

At 1:54 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

I interpreted this quote a little bit differently. It sounds to me like Cunningham is saying that he's so law-abiding that he even obeys laws against victimless crimes that he could easily break with relative impunity, i.e. smoking pot.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a 'Howdy Doody Looking Nimrod'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home