Teaching Evolution

A blog devoted to teaching evolution, both in our schools and in our communities.

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Evolution on ESPN.com's Page 2

I could happily go the rest of my life without ever reading ESPN.com's Page 2. And I don't know anything about Chuck Klosterman. But I did like the opening to his column:

I am an apolitical person. Absolutely nobody believes me when I say that, but it's true. Every conservative person I know thinks I'm mixing Noam Chomsky's personal Kool-Aid, and every liberal I know seems to assume I want to shampoo Ann Coulter's hair while watching outtakes from "The Passion of the Christ." I have no idea how this happened. For example, I don't have an opinion on abortion. I really, truly do not. You want to have an abortion? Fine; take my car keys, You think abortion is murder? Well, you're probably right. Who knows? Either way, it doesn't have anything to do with me. Do I think George W. Bush is the worst president of my lifetime? Well, of course I do -- but that's not because he's a Republican. It's because he somehow (a) got into Yale, yet (b) claims "the jury is still out" on the theory of evolution.

4 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

An average Chuck Klosterman work is basically a Bill Simmons column with the sports removed. It's all hip, pop-culture, all the time. Instant nostalgia.

He's a pretty good writer who writes about absolutely nothing. Surprisingly, this has worked pretty well for him.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

But that was actually a fine column.

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger MDS said...

I know quite a few people who really like Chuck Klosterman. For some reason I've just never read any of his stuff. And Page 2 just isn't my cup o' tea. I do like the idea of a sports site that mixes in plenty of cultural stuff, but Page 2 doesn't do it very well, IMHO.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger gregorykwu said...

IMHO Klosterman is a much better writer than Simmons. While they both use a lot of pop-culture references, there's usually a larger point to Klosterman's. Simmons talks about Jimmy Super Fly Snuka, the Warriors, etc. because he thinks it's funny. Sometimes it is, often times it's not. While Klosterman also uses his pop-cultural references for comedic purposes, I think he also deconstructs them far more effectively than Simmons to demonstrate how a particular perception or feeling on how said pop culture affected him. I just read his book, "Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs," and I remember a couple of really interesting essays on his feelings about Billy Joel and the Celtics-Lakers rivalry. Mike, if you have time you should check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home