Teaching Evolution

A blog devoted to teaching evolution, both in our schools and in our communities.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Roy Moore for Governor?

We've talked before around here about how evolution and other science-related issues could cause a split within the Republican Party. The pro-business side of the party knows that the future of many of our nation's industries depends on educated people who understand science. But the religious right side of the party opposes the teaching of evolution and much scientific inquiry.

I think next year's Republican gubernatorial primary in Alabama could be a good test case for what will happen when the religious side takes on the business side. Roy Moore, best known for his refusal to remove a Ten Commandments monument when he was chief justice of the state Supreme Court, has announced that he'll seek the Republican nomination. That means he'll take on Bob Riley, the pro-business incumbent.

It so happens that I like Bob Riley. (When I say that, I mean I like him about as much as I could conceivably like an Alabama Republican. Read this Paul Krugman column to find out why.) Unfortunately, it's inconceivable to me that a person I like could win a Republican Alabama primary against a person like Roy Moore. So my guess is that Moore becomes the next governor of Alabama. I can only imagine what the state's biology standards will look like once Moore is in office.

5 Comments:

At 2:05 PM, Blogger dhodge said...

Some thoughts:
1. Moore could lose the primary if the Democrats & unenrolled all switch their party affiliations just to vote against him.
2. Moore winning the primary could scare pro-business Republicans enough to support Riley as a third-party candidate.
3. Moore could be the latest in a long line of politicians who uses religion to fire up supporters but then pursues whatever agenda he wants once elected.

Some advice:
Alabamans should be wary of anyone promoting an "Anyone but Moore" campaign.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger MDS said...

Thought No. 2 would be Democrats' dream. If Riley and Moore were both on the November ballot, a Democrat might be able to win with 40 percent of the vote. But I think Riley would be unlikely to leave the Republican party; he has a future there even if it's not as governor. If Moore lost the primary, though, I think he could run as a third-party candidate and siphon off a lot of Riley's votes.

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger dhodge said...

That's true, I think that most pro-biz Republicans would rather see Moore in office than a Democrat. If Moore totally goes over the edge on the campaign trail, he'll probably convince a lot pro-biz Republicans to stay home on election day, but if he toes the standard Republican party line with an added emphasis on the ten commandments, he probably won't lose the support of most of the Republican establishment.

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
I'm a true anti republican

I am sure that the readers of your blog
are interested in reading about
anti republican

Here's the website where they can!
anti republican

 
At 7:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool blog you got! I just added you to my bookmarks!

I have a great article resource you might want to check out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home