Teaching Evolution

A blog devoted to teaching evolution, both in our schools and in our communities.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Robert Trivers

The Guardian has a great profile of Robert Trivers, who as a graduate student in the 1970s became one of the most eloquent writers about evolution. My favorite part:

Despite his history degree, it was obvious to his supervisors that he knew little about human biology, so he was given the animals to write about, and started to learn modern Darwinian biology. He fell in love with the logic of evolution. In the flow of genes through generations, and the steady, inexorable shaping of behaviour by natural selection, he saw a geometry of time, as beautiful as the geometry of space that Newton and Galileo had discovered.


Read the whole thing. Hat tip: aldaily

3 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger dhodge said...

Great piece. I just finished reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel", and I think it has a lot in common with some of Trivers' work. GGS applies a lot of Darwinian logic to explain history or at least offer up a reasonable hypothesis for it.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger MDS said...

I still haven't read Guns, Germs, And Steel. I'm sure it's good, and I've thumbed through it a few times at bookstores, but for some reason I just haven't bothered to read the whole thing cover to cover. I'm impressed with its staying power, though, even though Diamond has moved on to Collapse, I still hear people talking about GGS all the time.

 
At 5:58 AM, Blogger dhodge said...

From what I've read about Collapse, it seems to expound on a lot of ideas that are discussed in Guns, Germs, and Steel. I think Guns, Germs, and Steel is still being discussed because its the kind of book that can really change the way you look at the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home