Teaching Evolution

A blog devoted to teaching evolution, both in our schools and in our communities.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

America's Future Foundation ID Discussion

My Washington readers will be pleased to know that the America's Future Foundation is planning a roundtable discussion of Intelligent Design. I don't know anything about the panelists, but the two questions that they say will be answered speak volumes:

Is ID backlash for loss of local control over public schools and secularization of the curriculum? Is it symptomatic of a deepening cultural divide in America?


1. Backlash? If you feel that you're losing local control of your public schools, shouldn't you respond by doing all you can to make the education at your schools better? I don't see how turning science class into Sunday school accomplishes that.
2. The divide isn't about culture. It's about science, namely that a large (and, I fear, growing) number of Americans don't understand it and fear it. And worse, many of those Americans want to impose their anti-science views on the rest of us.

2 Comments:

At 2:59 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

I'm a fan of Reason Magazine's Ron Bailey. I'm reading his new book right now and it's pretty interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1591022274/qid=1126648710/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0533602-1168836?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I wish I could go.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger MDS said...

That book sounds great. I'll have to check it out.

Apparently John Derbyshire was also invited to speak, although he can't make it. So maybe I'm not giving enough credit to the organizers. Sounds like it could be a good event.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home