Teaching Evolution

A blog devoted to teaching evolution, both in our schools and in our communities.

Friday, September 30, 2005

100 Most Frequently Challenged Books -- Where's Darwin?

I guess I should be pleased that the American Library Association's list of the 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990-2000 doesn't include any that have anything to do with evolution. (When a member of a community asks the library to pull a book from its shelves, that constitutes a challenge.)

But I really was baffled when I read the list. Yes, I know a lot of people don't like Huck Finn, and Of Mice and Men has lots of cussing in it. And obviously, any book that aims to teach adolescents about the changes in their bodies during puberty is going to be highly offensive to a certain segment of the population. But some of these titles are seemingly benign. I read A Day No Pigs Would Die when I was a kid and I can't think of any reason anyone would have a problem with it. (The No. 1 type of challenge is the "Anti-Family" category, and A Day No Pigs Would Die describes a loving relationship between a child and his parents.)

If you're looking to buy a book as a gift or for yourself, this list looks like it would be a great place to start.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home