Teaching Evolution

A blog devoted to teaching evolution, both in our schools and in our communities.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Houston Chronicle Letters: Rebutting Evolution Deniers

Although I'm a big fan of blogs, I really believe the best way for any citizen to share an opinion about anything is to write a letter to the editor. I've had letters published in the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, USA Today, and Los Angeles Times, to name a few, and I'm sure more people have read those letters than have read any of my other writing. Three Letters in the Houston Chronicle are particularly impressive. If you have views you'd like to see reach a larger audience, write a letter to the editor of your local paper.

UPDATE: Only hours after I recommend letters to the editor, I come across this story of a woman who was killed because of the contents of a letter to the editor she wrote. And in comments, Paul Noonan mentions that a weirdo started contacting him because of one of the letters he wrote. So write at your own risk.

5 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Blogger dhodge said...

I like how the first writer singled out Marvin Olasky. I haven't heard from him a while, but I used to read him on a fairly regular basis when I subscribed to the Austin American-Statesman and I never found his arguments very convincing. I'm kind of surprised this is the first time that his name has shown up on teachevolution.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

I've written a few to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and after I did some crazy guy started writing me huge crazy letters for like 6 months. But at least I know that some people were reading.

That said, it is a good idea if you want your views heard, and most papers will give your letter a fair shake (I'm impressed that you've gotten in the NYT, that's not easy).

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger PaulNoonan said...

Whao, that's nuts.

My guy never seemed very scary (except to the extent that any unpredictable guy seems scary, and also that he knew where I lived). While he was nuts, he was pretty friendly. I think he believed that we agreed on a lot of things.

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger DannyNoonan said...

I'm not sure I'll ever write one again. Every time I've written a letter to the editor it has been so badly edited and changed that I came off like an idiot. I blogged about one here:
http://electriccommentary.blogspot.com/2004/07/update-riders-vs-rednecks-in-dane.html

It was a minor issue and it was just the Wisconsin State Journal, but I think I was still entitled to having my whole letter printed or none at all. Either way, it beats being edited by idiots.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger MDS said...

I blogged about my own experiences being edited by the letters editor here. Some publications have a policy of getting a writer's permission to print the letter in its edited form. I wish they all did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home