Teaching Evolution

A blog devoted to teaching evolution, both in our schools and in our communities.

Monday, June 20, 2005

This is Intelligent Design

A friend and I discussed yesterday what a curriculum would look like if intelligent design were used in an academic setting.

I think the best place to find out is the Web site of Michael J. Behe, a professor of biochemistry at Lehigh University and perhaps the leading proponent of intelligent design. (I wonder who the leading proponent of flat-earth theory is.)

I'm not sure if he put it up by choice or if a dean forced him, but Behe does have an official disclaimer:
My ideas about irreducible complexity and intelligent design are entirely my own. They certainly are not in any sense endorsed by either Lehigh University in general or the Department of Biological Sciences in particular. In fact, most of my colleagues in the Department strongly disagree with them.


I have to assume that by "most" he means "all," but in any event I'm glad he has the disclaimer up.

I don't understand exactly what Behe teaches. I assume Lehigh's faculty considers him an embarrassment and tries to keep him out of the classroom as much as possible. But judging from his site, I'm guessing that a test in a class taught by Behe would include essay questions like, "Explain how the human eye is an irreducibly complex system." Because intelligent design is not a testable hypothesis, I also assume that no experimentation would take place in a Behe-taught class.

1 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger Justin said...

If I were head of his department, I would make him put up the disclaimer "I am a total mouthbreathing hack fraud." If he was not happy with this, he would be free to leave.

Seriously, even if everyone in the department disagrees, that doesn't speak highly of Lehigh. And that school is better than that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home