Teaching Evolution

A blog devoted to teaching evolution, both in our schools and in our communities.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Evolution and Entropy

Of all the stupid things creationists say about evolution, I think the one that most annoys me is this:
The simple fact is that the law of entropy precludes macro-evolution from ever occurring. Entropy is the measure of increasing disorder in a system. The natural (or spontaneous) tendency of matter and of all of energy is toward greater disorder -- not toward greater order or complexity as evolution would teach.


As mentioned here, this argument shows ignorance of thermodynamics as well as of evolution. Entropy applies only to a closed system. The evolution of life on earth is not a closed system.

To put it another way: If the fundamental teachings of biology and the fundamental teachings of physics were mutually exclusive, wouldn't scientists have noticed?

1 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I skim a lot of blogs, and so far yours is in the Top 3 of my list of favorites. I'm going to dive in and try my hand at it, so wish me luck.

It'll be in a totally different area than yours (mine is about 1 diabetes type) I know, it sounds strange, but it's like anything, once you learn more about it, it's pretty cool. It's mostly about 1 diabetes type related articles and subjects.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home